Fats,Oils,Sweets and Refined Carbohydrates
· Use sparingly.
· Restrict adding fats to foods while cooking or at the table-like butter,margarine,gravy,salad dressing,spread.
· Choose few foods that are high in sugar like candy,jelly,honey,sweet desserts,soft drinks.
· Foods like white flour,white bread and polished rice,which are highly refined and low in vitamins & minerals,should be used less frequently.
· Cut down on convenience foods like biscuits,pastries and cakes,as they are rich in invisible fat and refined carbohydrates.
Whole Cereals,Whole Wheat Bread,Brown Rice ( 3-4 servings)
· To get the fibre you need,choose servings made from whole grains, eg. Whole Wheat Bread,Whole wheat flour,DaliA,Wheat flakes,Oatmeal,Brown rice etc.
· Supplement wheat flour with black chana flour to incorporate fibre.
· Do not sieve flour.
Milk,Yoghurt,Cheese (2-3 serves)
· Choose Skimmed milk and non-fat yoghurt.
· 75-100gm cottage cheese/ 200gm of yoghurt supply the same amount of calcium as 1 cup of milk.
· Read labels while purchasing packaged Milk products.
Poultry and Nuts (0-2 serves)
· Use egg white instead of whole egg.
· Nuts are high in fat,so eat them in moderation.
Whole Pulses/Sprouts (1-3 serves)
· Whole pulses,sprouts provide adequate quantity of fibre,minerals and vitamins.These also provide protein.
· Choose soya products such as soya paneer,soya milk and soya yoghurt.
· Choose fresh fruits instead of canned or frozen ones in heavy syrups and sweetened fruit juices.
· Eat whole fruits often-they are higher in fibre content than fruit juices.
· Count only 100% fruit juice as fruit.Punches,ades and most fruit drinks contains only a little juice and lots of added sugar.
Vegetables (5-6 serves)
· Different types of vegetables provide different nutrients.
· Seasonal vegetables have the highest nutrient content.Use raw vegetables as salad.
· Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables.They are especially good sources of vitamins and minerals.
· Cook vegetables lightly by steaming or stir-frying.restrict on the fat you add to vegetables.at the table or during cooking.